Saturday, March 8, 2014

Could a lesbian treehugger be the most conservative candidate in this race?

Gloria Zaiger is not happy. The National Organization for Women gave her a C rating when it screened the six candidates running for the DFL endorsement in 64B.




"I was shocked," she said in an interview. "I didn't think they'd hit me this hard."

Zaiger says she's as pro-choice, pro-environment, liberal and Democratic as anybody in the race to succeed Michael Paymar in Minnesota's 64B House seat. She attributes the NOW rating to her answer to several of the questions on the NOW political action committee screening questionnaire:


  • There is currently a five-year lifetime limit for a family to receive welfare benefits. Do you think this time limit should be eliminated or extended?
  • Do you support eliminating or waiving any of the welfare work requirements?

She says she answered "No." And she says she has good reason. And for the record, Zaiger says she doesn't consider this idea, or herself, conservative in any way. Zaiger says she's a believer in self-empowerment. 

Here's the story she's telling delegates about her own upbringing: 


I was raised in a low income family. My father had an 8th grade education and supported his eight kids by driving a taxi. We didn't have much money before he died, and things were even worse after. My mom used every program she could to keep a roof over our head and food on the table, and, to go to night school. One of my earliest memories is of her teaching herself to type on a manual typewriter, and doing the lessons from her classes, so she could get a job. She said over and over, education is the way out, and that we needed to prepare so we would never end up in the situation she was in. From those beginnings, and with other programs to help, all eight of us went to college.

"I believe in welfare," Zaiger said in an interview. "I do think we need to give people a helping hand. But I think welfare can be a program of dependence. Use it, but then help move people to a place of empowerment. That's what I saw when I was a kid."

She also says that other programs, like housing assistance, job training and employment assistance are good investments and a good alternative to open-ended welfare benefits: "It's not just about cutting people off. It's about finding alternatives."

Zaiger says she's gotten some blowback from the rating. One delegate emailed her in disbelief.

But Zaiger hopes there's an upside: that it separates her from the pack. "I think it shows that I'm not a rubber stamp, that I think for myself -- that and how important I think opportunity is."

Here's Zaiger's response to the NOW rating (adapted from her campaign email):




Here's the NOW questionnaire:

No comments:

Post a Comment